Monday, September 19, 2016

Rose McGowan Hates Red Carpets

In light of Miley Cyrus refusing to ever walk a red carpet again, Rose McGowan has written an essay on Red Carpets for The Hollywood Reporter. Here's what she has to say:

"My experience on the red carpet has been a journey of defiance, then one-of-a-kind acquiescence and finally a refusal to play by invented rules passed down through an aged system. Who says I need to have my hair and makeup professionally done? Who says I need to pay someone to make me look like an odd beauty pageant version of myself? The selling of a self I do not recognize, to publicize a self that wasn't me, stopped making sense. Whether it is known to those inside of Hollywood, it looks very antiquated.

One of the last red carpets that I did, the Entertainment Tonight correspondent asked me if I, like Cate Blanchett, felt it was inappropriate for the camera to pan up and down my body. I told her that it felt like visual rape. I'm fairly sure my response didn't make it to air. The whole reason #AskHerMore exists as a hashtag says more about media idiocy than anything else. Red-carpet "reporters" should consider just being semi-intelligent and not making every question one of inanity. Maybe then we could be beyond a hashtag.

It's highly unlikely that I will walk a red carpet this awards season, but if I do, I will do my own makeup and dress. I'm an adult and I've known how to for a long time. Here's the secret actresses and actors need to know: So can they. Hollywood hair and makeup people tend to make actresses, myself included, look like Trump contestants. Not a good look. Actresses are just brainwashed and part of the machine. They don't realize they don't have to be. I don't think Hollywood has ever seen the likes of me."


No comments:

Post a Comment