Thursday, July 9, 2020

No Justice, No Peace 7/9/20




Thread:




View this post on Instagram

NB: profit is of course not the only reason businesses should care, but there’s no way people don’t already know it’s the right thing to do. They just don’t care. In those cases I’ve found making a profitability business case is what gets them listening and acting . I can't count the number of times I've worked in places that have asked me to either sit on, it set up, their D&I committee. It's always presented as something positive to do to help the business make change and do better, but in my experience, they have rarely lead to any real long term change. What I've experienced much more is businesses using these voluntary committees as PR talking points, whilst maintaining the status quo and keeping marginalised team members occupied with unsupported initiatives that are never put into action. . If your company has a D&I committee, and you're not from a marginalised group, join it. Push for change. Keep it on the agenda without creating more emotional labour or office housework for marginalised colleagues.
A post shared by Sophie W - Millennial Black (@officialmillennialblack) on

No comments:

Post a Comment