Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Jenny Slate Opens Up About Chris Evans Breakup

Jenny Slate recently sat down for an interview with Vulture, where she opened up about her breakup with Chris Evans. Here's what she had to say:

“We used to talk about what kinds of animals we were. Chris said it’s like I’m a chick riding on a St. Bernard’s head. We’re an odd match...I don’t mind talking about him at all. He’s a lovely person. I don’t know. It feels like such a huge thing. Last year was a giant, big year for my heart. I’ve never, ever thought to keep anything private because that’s not really what I’m like, and now I’m learning those things, and they’re weird, kind of demented lessons to learn...I remember him saying to me, ‘You’re going to be one of my closest friends.’ I was just like, ‘Man, I fucking hope this isn’t a lie, because I’m going to be devastated if this guy isn’t my friend.’ ” 

On getting together with Evans:
“To be quite honest, I didn’t think I was his type. Eventually, when it was like, Oh, you have these feelings for me?, I was looking around like, Is this a prank? I mean, I understand why I think I’m beautiful, but if you’ve had a certain lifestyle and I’m a very, very different type of person — I don’t want to be an experiment...If you are a woman who really cares about her freedom, her rights, her sense of being an individual, it is confusing to go out with one of the most objectified people in the entire world. I’m considered some sort of alternative option, even though I know I’m a majorly vibrant sexual being...[Women approach him] being like, ‘Oh my God, is that Chris Evans? He’s so hot!’ You’re like, ‘How dare you? That’s my boyfriend. But yes, he’s so hot.’ ”

On insisting they split the bill on their first date:
“[I told him] If you take away my preferences, you take away my freedom. Then I was like, Oh, man, is this dude going to be like, ‘Ugh, this bra-burner.’ Instead, he was like, ‘Tell me more.’ ” 

On filming a love scene with him for their movie Gifted:
“It’s one of those scenes where you bust through a door making out. I’ve never done that in my life. I remember apologizing to him after. I’m pretty sure I kneed him in the balls.”

On their differences:
“At first I was like, ‘What a fucking nightmare.’ Chris is a different speed than me — I think he really did just jump out of a plane for an interview. And so when he was like, ‘Game nights,’ I was like, ‘This is annoying. This guy’s like a sports guy. He’s the kid that likes P.E.’ ...I first really liked Chris as a person because he is so unpretentious. He is a straight-up 35-year-old man who wants to play games. That’s it. I was like, ‘I’d better not discount this, because this is purity.’ ”

On his good points:
“What’s the same about us is not just that we’re from Massachusetts, which was such a delight, but Chris is truly one of the kindest people I’ve ever met, to the point where sometimes I would look at him and it would kind of break my heart. He’s really vulnerable, and he’s really straightforward. He’s like primary colors. He has beautiful, big, strong emotions, and he’s really sure of them. It’s just wonderful to be around. His heart is probably golden-colored, if you could paint it.”

On how she handled the breakup:
“I watched You’ve Got Mail so many times, it was unbelievable.”

Read the full interview, where she talks even more about Chris Evans, at Vulture (I don't she's learned that lesson about keeping things private yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment