Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Hilary Duff Talks Love

Hilary Duff recently appeared on Younger co-star Nico Tortorella's podcast The Love Bomb, where she talked about love. Here's what she had to say, as reprinted by E! News:

On falling in love with Joel Madden at 16:
"I was like, 'I get it. Like, I actually get it.' It was so all encompassing. It was so intense. It was my life. It was like every minute of my day. It was pretty major."

On dating while famous:
"All of my relationships have been in the public eye. Whether people care or not, that's a different story. But enough people seem to have cared that it's talked about."

On taking a career break at 19:
"I think I feel really lucky. I made a choice when I was about 19 to stop music and to stop acting. I finished my tour and I took two years where I didn't do anything. I didn't mean for it to last that long, but I just wasn't fulfilled in any way. I was just going on stage at night and I was like, 'I don't even know what town I'm in'...It just became so repetitive, and I was like, 'Why am I working like this? I'm supporting all these people.' It was just crazy. Taking that break, I think, really helped me step back from the whole 'Hilary Duff' thing and prioritize."

On marrying Mike Comrie:
"When we were deciding to get married, I was totally down and I felt totally ready. I had already been working as an adult since I was 12 years old. So 22 doesn't seem that crazy to get married. But I never like pictured my wedding dress and all that...I don't have the judgment of tradition. If someone chooses to not live a traditional lifestyle, obviously I don't care whatsoever. But some of my choices are more like, 'I got married. I had a baby.' That was very traditional. I do think there's a sweetness to all of that. It's not necessarily realistic all the time."

On divorce:
 "My parents are divorced, and my dad is recently remarried—at 71. Get it, dad! Very happily, by the way, which is awesome for him. I'm so excited for both of them. But [marriage] is not a sacred thing. I wasn't shamed because I got a divorce. It was a big step to take, and it was a lot of considering a little human, but I don't know. Lots of people in my family are still married. Actually, I don't know if anyone's divorced but me."

On the institution of marriage:
"It is a sacred thing, obviously. It's something to be taken very seriously, and I was so happy to be married. I think that I was in a very successful marriage for a long time. I never want to have any negative...I mean, that's hard to say: 'no negative feelings.' But we got together based on love and we separated in a very loving way. I can't imagine going through that process with anyone but him, and he continues to be my very good friend. That's honestly speaking from my heart. So, I think we handled it very consciously and with a lot of love. But marriage is sacred and marriage is not for everyone. Marriage is work. Marriage is really hard. Everyone's like, 'Are you going to get married again?' I'm like, 'I don't know!' All your relationships can be a success if you make it that way. Even if they don't last forever."

On monogamy:
"There we go with the tradition again. I'm kind of traditional. But I get it. I get that it's hard to be with one person. You get really comfortable. I understand boredom or not connecting after however many years of marriage or a relationship, but that's where the work comes in. I feel like I'd have a really hard time with that."

No comments:

Post a Comment