Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Snapple Lady Was on Coke

Remember the Snapple Lady from the 90s commercials? Wendy Kaufman, 58, recently appeared on Oprah's Where Are They Now? and revealed that she used to have a massive coke habit. Us Weekly quotes her as follows:


"I did try coke, and I loved it. I started to do cocaine in 1980, right after I graduated college. By 1989, I could press my cheek and blood would come out of my nose. I was so sick that it really did bring me to my knees. I said to God, on my knees, hysterical crying, 'Either kill me or please, please help me get well. I cannot live like this for one second longer.'"

On how Snapple helped her sobriety:
"What most people don’t know about me [is] Snapple was much more than a job. It was a lifeline and it was a way for me to stay sober. And it was a vehicle to do wonderful, nice things for other people,"People just loved me and I remember crying, literally, like, ‘What did I do to myself? What did I do to myself for all these years?' So, the addiction was great because, in a way, it made me really look at myself and re-evaluate everything."

On landing the commercial:
"It was definitely controversial. There were fights in the main office. 'How are you going to take the fat girl from the order department and put her on national TV?!'"

On her fame:
"How do you separate when everybody says, ‘Oh my God, it’s the Snapple Lady'? I didn’t even have a brand, so I’m the Snapple Lady without being the Snapple Lady. I had to embrace that the personal part of me was far greater than the Snapple persona and that it was time to move on."


No comments:

Post a Comment