Friday, October 14, 2016

Jon Hamm Reflects on Rehab, Talks Children

Jon Hamm recently sat down for an interview with Mr. Porter Journal. Here's what he had to say:

On rehab:

“It has all these connotations, but it’s just an extended period of talking about yourself. People go for all sorts of reasons, not all of which are chemically related. But there’s something to be said for pulling yourself out of the grind for a period of time and concentrating on recalibrating the system. And it works. It’s great.”

On the prospect of having children:
“I don’t know. I don’t think it’s necessarily an imperative. I’m not going to psychoanalyse myself here, but… well, never say never. I’ve got nieces and nephews and I’ve been a teacher. I’ve probably been around kids a lot more than all my friends. I feel if you shut that off entirely you calcify. You turn into that guy.”

On social media:
“I speak to young kids starting out and they can’t even get into an audition unless they have a certain number of followers on Instagram. Of course, it doesn’t mean anything – you can go out and buy 100,000 followers. But it becomes meaningful if business decides it’s meaningful. In time there will be a correction and we will look back on this period and say, ‘Wow. We were really dumb.’”

On therapy:
“After I’d lost my dad, I had this horrible paralysing inertia – and no one in my family was capable of dealing with it. So what do you do? Go and see a professional. I preach it from the mountaintops. I know it’s a luxury and it’s not something everyone can afford. But if you can, do it. It’s like a mental gym.”

On style:
“I don’t share a lot of sartorial clues with Mr Draper, other than we’re the same suit size, but it did open my eyes to buying clothes that fit properly. I generally try and dress a little more appropriate to my age. It’s epidemic out here. So often I’m like, ‘What are you wearing? You have an Ed Hardy T-shirt and a wallet chain and biker boots and you’re 65 years old?’”

On competing for roles:
“From a features standpoint, it’s really difficult to get hard dramas made if you’re not Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Denzel Washington or Ben Affleck. That’s what those boys do and there are only so many slots. There are five or six leads who get the first look and if you’re lucky you might get a second. But hope springs eternal around this time of year. We’re done with the capes and tights and laser beams and we’re starting to see the serious movies that are up for awards.”

Read the full interview at Mr. Porter Journal.


No comments:

Post a Comment