Tuesday, September 20, 2016

James Marsden Talks Career Missteps

James Marsden is on the cover of this month's GQ Magazine. Here's what he has to say in the accompanying interview:

On driving:
“Women pay attention to how men drive because it's a good indicator of what kind of character you have. They want someone who's going to be intelligent and cautious and assertive and confident when you need to be, but not overly aggressive and reckless, and also not timid and overly paranoid.”

On James Dean:
“James Dean has never been one of my guys. I don't want to be him. I will take boring anytime. I love boring! Are you kidding me? Matt Damon has been one of my favorites forever. He always elevates every bit of material, and then you don't hear a thing about him. It's like, ‘No, I pretty much wear a T-shirt every day of my life, and I don't really have any dirt.' I love that. If you were to ask me what career I would choose, I'd be like, ‘That. One hundred percent.' ”

On his career:
“If I wasn't me, I'd look at my stuff and go, ‘He's been in everything. Turn on the cable, and he's on there. Good movie, bad movie, good movie, bad movie.' We all want to be great. Of course. Everybody wants that. I'd be lying out of my ass if I told you that I didn't want to be. When I was younger, I used to feel like, ‘Yeah, there are certain roles out there that may go to other actors who are bigger than me and have more pull.' And that can be frustrating...I've done some films that, on paper, were really interesting and special. And for some reason, when they got on-screen, it just didn't work. Well, I didn't get to watch the film before I decided to do it.”

On passing on a role in Magic Mike:
“Soderbergh is one of my favorites, but I didn't know if I trusted myself to be good enough in this to not have my two dozen lines end up on the editing-room floor. I'd look like a naked extra in this movie. It's perfect the way it worked out, but that's one of the only ones I'm like, Hmm. I didn't know it was gonna be the massive success that it was.”


No comments:

Post a Comment